List Of Departments
- Community Medicine & Family Medicine
- Forensic Medicine &Toxicology
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Obs & Gynae
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Transfusion Medicine
- AYUSH Department
The Department of Otolaryngology at AIIMS Gorakhpur established in 2019 has been built upon a rich foundation of medical education, research, and clinical care.
The specialized care includes Otology (Basic , Advanced), Rhinology (Cosmetic, Allergy , Basic and advanced endonasal /Skull base surgeries) , Sleep Surgeries ,Voice/ Speech/ Larynx diseases ,Airway Surgeries , Maxillofacial and trauma management and Head and neck Surgeries.
Our department aspires transforming the field of otolaryngology by providing state of the art medical services and also improving the knowledge through education and research. The department is driven by its commitment for exceptional patient care through traditional and modern medical innovations.
Our vision is to make otolaryngology department in Gorakhpur a center of excellence for education of Undergraduates, Postgraduates and Fellows in various subspecialities of our rapidly expanding specialty. We plan to provide advanced Preventive, Diagnostic, Curative and Rehabilitative health care services by creating a station of modern research which encompasses regional observational, clinical, analytical and experimental studies.
- Patient care
- OPD services
- Diagnostic Labs
- Operative services and indoor
- Emergency Services
- National Health Programmes
- Medical Education- UG/ PG/ Allied Courses
- Observational studies of various ENT Disease in our region
- Audiology, Voice and speech research Lab
- Temporal bone dissection lab and surgical skill lab
- Sleep apnoea research lab
- Allergy and immunology
- Head and neck malignancies
The department of orthopedics, AIIMS Gorakhpur aim to develop state of the art facilities of academic, research and patient care so that, expert orthopaedic services can be provided to last man in the row. The Outpatient services commenced from 24th February 2019 in AYUSH block of the institute. Since, then the department is one of the busiest department of the institute. Till now, approximately 65 thousand patients have consulted the orthopaedic department within a short span of less than one year.
The department is committed to provide highest level of patient care to the patient of eastern India including the patients from Nepal also. The focus will not be only on the definitive care but also the palliative and preventive aspects.
- Outpatient services
- Indoor services (day care surgeries only)
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
To become a role model and a referral Centre of Orthopaedics, with excellence in patient care, education and Orthopaedic research.
Future Endeavours (By March 2021)
- Speciality clinic Spine Clinic Sports Injury and Knee Clinic Orthopaedic Oncology Clinic Orthopaedic Rheumatology Clinic
- Ortho-biologics and cartilage preservation Unit
- Endoscopic Spine Unit
- Minimally Invasive surgery (Trauma and Spine)( By March 2022)
- Arthroplasty Unit (By March 2022)
Proposed Courses :-
- Master of Surgery (By July 2021)
- Post-Doctoral Certificate Courses (By Nov 2021)
- Bone and Cartilage preserving surgery
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery
- Doctor of Philosophy(Phd) (By Nov 2021)
- Master of Chirurgiae (By July 2023)
- Mch Spine Surgery
- Mch Joint Reconstruction
- Mch Sports Injury
Psychiatric disorders or Mental illnesses are a group of medical disorders characterized by disturbances of mind or psyche. It includes disorders of thought, perception, emotion, cognition and behavior. Psychiatric disorders are very common in general population both in India and worldwide. It is estimated that more than 1 billion people around the world are affected by psychiatric disorders which also contributes to majority of disease burden in India. Commonly found psychiatric disorders in adults are Schizophrenia, Depression, Bipolar disorders, Anxiety disorders, Sleep disorders, Sexual disorders, Addiction disorders and Dementia. Behavioral problems are also highly prevalent in children and elderly age group which requires special attention. The causes of Psychiatric disorders are diverse which includes biological, psychological and social factors. Most of the disorders could be easily treated with medicines and other simple psychological and behavioral interventions. Hence early the diagnosis and treatment, the better is the rate of recovery from illness.
The Department of Psychiatry started functioning right from the beginning of AIIMS, Gorakhpur on 24th February 2019. Since then the number of patients visiting the OPD for treatment of psychiatric disorders has been gradually increasing. The OPD now is actively dedicated to serve people coming from different regions within and outside the state
CURRENT OPD SERVICES
- Consultation for various Psychiatric Disorders and behavioral problems.
- Detailed history taking, diagnosis, assessment and appropriate treatment.
- Follow up for regular monitoring of patient’s progress.
- Telephonic consultation services.
IN-PATIENT AND ADMISSION SERVICES
To be started soon
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To provide high quality mental health care and treatment facilities to the people.
- To create mental health awareness, promotion and prevention of Psychiatric disorders.
- To engage in educational and research activities.
- To develop a Center of Excellence for treatment of psychiatric disorders in this part of the country
- To induct Clinical Psychologists, Psychiatric Social Work and Nursing professionals for providing comprehensive assessment and treatment care.
- To start Psychotherapy, Behavioral therapy, Family therapy and Psychosocial rehabilitation services.
- To start Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT), Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation(rTMS) treatments.
- Specialty clinics focusing on Addiction disorders, Child Psychiatry, Geriatric Mental health and other specific disorders.
- To start Emergency and Community Psychiatric services.
- To conduct training programs, workshops for students and allied Mental health professionals.
- To start Post Graduate courses in Psychiatry.
COURSES PLANNED TO START
- MD Psychiatry
- PDF course in Addiction Medicine
The Department of Paediatrics of AIIMS, Gorakhpur is committed to advancing the health of infants, children, and adolescents through innovative medical care, research, education, training, and advocacy. We bring together experienced faculty members from across the nation committed to the cause of advancing paediatric health and research. We offer broadbased training in general paediatrics, critical care and paediatric subspecialties within a variety of ambulatory, inpatient and community settings. Integrated with our educational activities, these programs provide hands-on learning to equip our graduates with the skills they will need as future advocates of children's health.
Through our programs and initiatives we strive to deliver state-of-the-art tertiary care services in this region. We envisage that our continued efforts to collaborate with various research organisations will pay rich dividends in terms of valued research which can transform the discoveries into effective diagnostics, treatments and preventive therapies.
We strive to foster progressive research, advancement of knowledge and clinical excellence with availability of affordable health care for all children in this region.
- Department of Paediatrics offers excellent clinical training in general pediatrics, critical care and other paediatric subspecialties within a variety of ambulatory, inpatient and community settings presenting avenues of academic excellence at both undergraduate and post graduate levels.
- Undergraduate training involves lectures, bedside clinics, tutorials, seminars and
encouragement to participate in research work like short term studentship program.
Regular assessment will be done in the form of case presentation and write-ups, end posting examination, sessional exams at the end of each semester.
- Postgraduate training involves, case presentations, grand rounds, bedside teaching seminars, journal club and thesis presentations.
- Clinical activities related to in-patient and out-patient care include the newborn nursery, fully equipped NICU and PICU. The department will serve as a referral centre for diagnosis and treatment of serious and complicated illnesses encompassing various subspecialties of paediatrics.
- We shall be conducting social outreach programme for underserved sections of children in community.
- We hope to expand our services and include preventive and rehabilitative services for children in due course of time.
- Pediatric ward for inpatient services
- Pediatric triage and emergency care area for acute ailments.
- Simulation lab for enhanced learning objectives for training and faculty development programmes.
- Speciality clinics across various domains of pediatric medicine such as asthma clinics, epilepsy clinics, nephrology clinics etc.
Our goal is to be leaders in child health with unsurpassed credentials. Through our core principles of excellent C.A.R.E, we endeavour to foster an environment of team work, collaboration ,innovation and inspiration.
Our vision is to establish advanced level 3 Neonatal and Pediatric ICUs as well as speciality clinics for immunisation, nephrotic syndrome, thalassemia and asthma. We hope to collaborate with other stakeholders in this region to achieve our collective goals of advancement of child health in this region. We wish to establish AIIMS Gorakhpur as DBTNIDAAN Kendra for diagnosis and research activities related to genetic metabolic diseases.
We strive to have complete range of paediatric services including trauma and emergency ward, 12 bedded paediatric ward and level 2 and level 3 NICU and PICU areas. We envision the establishment of state of art, simulation laboratory facility for training of residents and faculty as well as foster research activities of critical domains in pediatrics.
With availability of infrastructure we hope to initiate MD course, post doctoral certificate courses/fellowships for in sub specialities of paediatric medicine such as Neonatology , paediatric critical care ,nephrology etc and super speciality DM courses in Neonatology and Paediatric critical care in due course of time.
Obs & Gynae
The department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology deals with diseases of female reproductive organs, family planning & care of women during pregnancy, childbirth & postpartum. The department has proposed 60 beds along with 10 bedded labour room with all the facility for antepartum and intrapartum fetal monitoring and in patient care.
Presently, department is providing out-patient and teleconsultation services covering the entire spectrum of women’s health care that our patients may require. OPD services range from diagnosing and treating various diseases of female reproductive tract to the facility of preventive health check-ups like screening for Cervical, endometrial and breast cancer. Department is also providing basic infertility work up and initial treatment in the form of ovulation Induction if required. First trimester medical abortion facility for women who fit the criteria and wish to terminate their pregnancy is also being offered.
Comprehensive Obstetric care is being provided to all the pregnant women coming to the hospital, in the form of regular physical examination and carrying out all the routine blood investigations. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in collaboration with department of Radiology, is also providing first trimester combined screening for Chromosomal anomalies and foetal growth monitoring with Ultrasonography including color Doppler. We aim to provide patient centred care for safe child birth to all high risk expecting mothers coming to the hospital so that they enjoy safe motherhood and carry little bundle of joy along with her.
Department is committed to deliver quality and evidence based clinical services to all patients coming under its domain after establishment of fully functional department. With the start of inpatient admission and Operation theatre facility we aim to provide surgical treatment through open as well as minimal invasive techniques. In the near future, we plan to run specialised clinics like Urogynaecology, Menopause, cancer and infertility clinics to better understand and address the needs of patients and to provide quality care to them.
Department of Anatomy came in to existence at AIIMS Gorakhpur as one of the first few departments in August 2019 with mandate to do excellence in fields of medical education, training and medical research with priority of utmost patient care. Department of Anatomy is established on ground floor of academic block to do excellence in all branches of Human anatomy.
Department has embalming facility, cadaver storage facility. Department is running voluntary donation programme. Under this Programme any volunteer can pledge to donate his Body after death to AIIMS Gorakhpur.
Department have developed competency based curriculum to facilitate teaching and learning at par with other medical Institutes of national repute to provide best teaching, training and research experiences to students. Department is dedicated in delivering best training to medical
students and residents with emphasis on Integrated teaching, clinical skill training in coordination with other departments to ensure early clinical exposure to students. Anatomy is mainly discussed by didactic lectures, student seminars, Interactive small group discussions, quizzes, microteaching, problem based learning with more emphasis on hands on cadaveric dissection. Department is also incorporating
technology in teaching activities, we have adopted e learning system for online teaching and assessment of students. Department is developing facility for virtual dissection for better understanding of Gross and microscopic anatomical details. Department encourages research activities and motivate students
to do research projects. Faculty are encouraged to attend faculty development programs, workshops, CMEs, conferences and actively involved in various scientific projects.
- To develop cadaveric skill lab to conduct various hands on cadaveric workshops for faculty and students.
- To develop facility for preparation 3 dimensional models from patients CT and MRI data in real time which would help in management of patients and also in students teaching activities.
- To develop research lab with facility of special staining, neural staining and immunohistochemistry.
- To develop Cytogenetic and molecular diagnostic lab to ensure diagnostics & research in genetic disorders
Department has adequate number of Faculty, Residents and Laboratory staff. We have well equipped Dissection lab, Imaging section, Histology lab, Research lab, Department library & Demonstration rooms with audio-visual aids.
Under the progressive leadership of our Executive Director, Dr.Surekha Kishore the Department of Ophthalmology, AIIMS Gorakhpur is admant to cater the ophthalmic needs of patients of Gorakhpur and adjoining areas.
The OPD unit of Ophthalmology has been functional since 2019 and the department provides services for effective diagnosis, treatment and research for eye diseases. It aims to provide good quality patient care to all sections of the society along with teaching and training of undergraduate and postgraduate students. The Department pursues inter-disciplinary research in collaboration with other departments.
Our vision is to create excellent and complete eye-care solutions of highest standards to all sections of community. We aim to develop and strengthen the strategy of NPCB for “Eye Health for All” through screening camps in schools, rural areas and outreach centres.
- Diagnostic facilities for all the major and minor ailments of eye are done using
specialized ophthalmic instruments viz.
- Slit-lamp bio microscopy
- Fundoscopy (Direct and Indirect ophthalmoscope)
- Tonometry (NCT, Schiotz and Applanation)
- Visual assessment and refraction (Dry and wet retinoscopy)
- Laser YAG Capsulotomy for management of Posterior capsular opacification
- Minor surgical procedures like Chalazion I&C, Corneal and conjunctival foreign body removal, cysts and warts excision are routine procedures.
- The Department renders help to other departments in diagnosing and decision making.
- Green laser,Optical Coherence Tomography(OCT), USG(A+B SCAN) services are to be initiated soon
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The Department Of Ophthalmology Strives For
- Expansion of OPD services including the speciality clinics.
- Establishment and running of the Operation theatre and In-patient services.
- To excel in teaching of undergraduates and postgraduates under competency based
- To stimulate research in Ophthalmology at its highest level.
- To undertake training of the Optometrists ,technicians etc.
- To provide facilities for the training in Preventive Ophthalmology and for the
rehabilitation of the blind.
- To provide facilities for the training, organisation and research in Eye Bank, including corneal grafting and tissue transplantation
- Speciality clinics: Paediatric ophthalmology, cornea, glaucoma, retina, squint and oculoplastyservices
- Surgeries: Cataract surgery, Corneal surgeries, Glaucoma filteration surgery, Squint correction surgery, Oculoplasty, Retinal surgeries, Emergency ocular surgeries, Refractive surgeries
- Eye banking and corneal transplants
- Community ophthalmology: Develop and strengthen the stategy of NPCB for “Eye Health forAll”; Screening camps: Schools, rural areas
The Department Wishes To Initiate Degree And Certificate Courses In Ophthalmology :
The Department of Biochemistry is actively involved in the teaching of MBBS students since the joining of the first Batch at AIIMS Gorakhpur in September 2019. Biochemistry deals with the chemical processes occurring in living organisms, and is involved in both health and disease. Biochemistry forms the molecular basics of every branch of biomedical sciences. The Department stands to impart subject knowledge to the students, and also actively supports the Clinical Departments of the Institute in patient care by providing diagnostic facilities. The Biochemistry Department aims to develop into a centre of excellence in education, research, and patient care.
The session began with a 15-day Foundation Course conducted by all faculty of the Institute to make the students familiar with medical teaching and practices. Regular teaching is carried out by conventional and unconventional methods. The conventional methods include interactive lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, and practical classes, and seminars, while unconventional methods included Integrated Teaching with horizontal, vertical, and spiral involvement of other departments, Biomodule Exhibition, Early Clinical Exposure, and Case-Based Discussions. The faculty are meticulous in their teaching and assessment efforts.
The Biomodule Exhibition was planned and organized by Dr Indu Saxena with help from all faculty of the Department. The two-hour event, held on 5th March, 2020, was attended by almost all employees of the Institute, and was widely appreciated. The faculty of the other departments tested the students regarding their subject knowledge and also monitored the interaction of students with the other employees of the Institute.
The faculty of the Department have been actively involved in lectures, tutorials, demonstrations, seminars, integrated teaching schedules, routine assignments, and practical classes of MBBS students. Teaching was shifted from the department to the homes of the students due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Online lectures, assignments, revisions, and tests have been held regularly.
The department is equipped with state of art instruments for research and diagnosis including gradient and RT-PCR, ELISA, microplate reader, Microscopes (fluorescence and inverted) CO2 incubator, laminar flows, electrophoresis and chromatography apparatus, spectrophotometer, automated analysers, electrolyte analysers, immunoassay analysers, etc. Some of the equipment (lyophilizer, Western Blot apparatus, transilluminator, HPLC-based automated analyser for detection of glycated hemoglobin and hemoglobinopathies, chemiluminescence immunoassay analyser, nanospectrophotometer, etc) have been ordered and will soon be delivered.
- Train students in terms of latest developments, tools, and techniques in the field. Provide quality education to the students to make them independent
scholars with curious minds, ethical attitudes, and practical skills
- Develop excellent laboratory service that aid diagnosis and prognosis
- Produce original and high quality research that will benefit humanity
We aim to promote a culture of accountability, independent thought, compassion, integrity, honesty, and teamwork in the Department. We are committed to lifelong learning and have undertaken to follow the principles of ethics in education, research, and patientcare.
The Department aims to become one of the best centres of Biochemistry Education in the country, at both undergraduate as well as post-graduate levels of teaching. All faculty keep abreast of the current knowledge and are committed to making lectures more informative, effective, and interesting by incorporating new innovations. The MD course shall be started soon, and the faculty are developing syllabus and teaching schedules related to that also.
Biochemistry and laboratory diagnostics are closely associated with all departments, and we hope to integrate with the clinical departments in producing good quality research that will benefit science and will also aid early diagnosis of disease.
Currently the Institute has only the MBBS Course, but after the required period we intend to begin MD Biochemistry, MSc Medical Biochemistry, and PhD.
Any other courses that the Institute plans to begin like BSc Nursing will have our full support.
Community Medicine & Family Medicine
Department of Community Medicine & Family Medicine is based on the three pillars with which the concept of All India Institute of Medical Sciences is built i.e. teaching, research and service. The main aim of the department is to establish a comprehensive primary care model both in rural and urban areas of Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh which will be an excellent centre for teaching both undergraduate and postgraduate students, model for community based research and service delivery through primary care approach. The department also understands the importance of the inter-sectoral coordination and putting its efforts to establish link with the state and district departments. Department is also working to develop collaboration with other Non-Governmental Organization working in the local area. Similarly, department also plans to work on the principles of community participation and developing the community ownership from the beginning of the model centre through their active participation.
- Rural Health Training Centre
- Immunization and Well baby Clinic (to be started soon)
- Lifestyle Counselling Centre (to be started soon)
To develop a model comprehensive and holistic primary health care services replicable at national level.
- To train undergraduate and post graduate medical students in community oriented medical education
- To create role model centre for promotive, preventive and curative services
- To conduct research addressing national health priorities and to generate evidence for program and policy formulation
- To facilitate the implementation of national health programmes at local, state, and national level
- To develop the centre for excellence in teaching, population based research in this region of India
- To develop a centre for Excellence in the research in Vector borne Diseases
- To develop a centre for Excellence in Population Based Cancer Research
- To establishes School of Public Health in collaboration with reputed universities across the world
- Certificate Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Certificate Course in health research fundamentals
- Certificate Course in Disaster management
- Certificate Course in Biomedical Waste management
- Certificate Course in occupational health
- Certificate Course in medical social work
- PG Diploma in Health Mangement
- PG Diploma in Geriatric Medicine
- PG Diploma in Palliative Care
- PG Diploma in Maternal and Child Health
The Department of Physiology has been established to undertake undergraduate and post graduate teaching and training. The teaching and learning methodology for the undergraduates includes didactic lecture classes, practical classes, case based learning, tutorials and weekly interactive student seminars. Also, we have initiated to implement Integrated teaching in the undergraduate teaching schedule involving both horizontal and vertical integration this year, with fair success. We have also started Early clinical exposure for undergraduates, in an attempt to provide better understanding of the basic sciences through a clinical context. Objective Structured Practical Examinations form integral part of the practical assessments. Physiology Quiz and student seminar contests were organized for the undergraduates to foster learning and encouragement. Since the beginning of COVID-19 outbreak, live online lectures and practicals are regularly being conducted for the students. Online internal assessment exam was successfully conducted.
Department has excellent demonstration rooms, lecture theatres, undergraduate laboratories and research laboratories which are well equipped (airconditioned, with internet connections and modern teaching tools).
We aim to prepare and equip the department for post-graduate teaching. We aim at establishing clinical laboratories including Neurophysiology, Cardiorespiratory laboratories and other clinical laboratories for contributing to the patient care, clinical services and for research studies.
M.D. Physiology, M.Sc. Physiology and Ph.D. Physiology are the courses which will be initiated in due course.
The department of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy in AIIMS, Gorakhpur started providing patient care from February 2019 and got its first faculty member Dr Sunil Kumar Gupta, as Associate Professor. Since then the department has steadily progressed, expanded and diversified its activities to contribute to the advances in the understanding and treatment of various dermatologic diseases.
The OPD is run on weekdays from Monday to Friday. The department handles an average of 200 patients daily. This accounts for one of the busiest OPDs in our hospital. Besides consultation, the department carries out procedures like biopsy, needle extirpation, comedone expression and chemical peeling in the minor OT.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- Works with the concept of “improvise, adapt and overcome”
- The department aims at outstanding clinical service, research, and educational excellence.
- Provide best possible evidence based management & aesthetic care to the patient.
- Start Specialty Clinics for Leprosy, Sexually Transmitted Infections, Contact Dermatitis, Pigmentary Disordes, Psoriasis and Immunobullous Disorders.
- Start IPD with concept of Intensive skin care unit
- Start Post graduation course in Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy
- Start Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Pediatric Dermatology, Psychodermatology & Dermatopathology
- Research and Academic works for UG’s and PG’s
- Start Dermatosurgery (Vitiligo surgery, Nail surgery, Hair transplantation, Scar revision)
- Start Laser, Botox and Aesthetic procedures
The Department of General Surgery is committed to providing the highest quality of medical care to patients, world class education for students and continuing innovative basic science and clinical research. It is one of the first departments to start its OPD services from the very first day AIIMS Gorakhpur started in February 2019. As AIIMS Gorakhpur caters a large population of Purvanchal part of Uttar Pradesh and adjoining area of Bihar, the Surgery OPD is one of the busiest amongst all. OPD started with about 50 patients per day in March 2019 and crossed 200 patients per day within a year.
Apart from OPD services a treatment room and a Minor OT was developed for dressings, suturing and few cases under local anaesthesia. A Day care surgery unit was started in February 2020 once the faculty from department of anaesthesia joined the institute. Patients are admitted in the morning for surgery and is discharged by evening. Elective cases like breast lumps, hernias, excision biopsies are being performed.
The department is planning to start speciality clinics, IPD and Emergency services by the year end. All the major and laparoscopic surgeries will start simultaneously. Department plans to start post-graduation courses (MS) in General Surgery on completion of three years OR as soon as permission is granted. The department’s futuristic plans include procurement of laparoscopic simulators, a well-established skill lab and to start robotic and bariatric surgeries. This incorporation and implementation of newer technology in teaching, learning and evaluation will result in making of globally competitive, competent and confident surgeons, who will engage in ethical practice of the science and art of surgery.
With a vision of becoming world-class leading institution, department of surgery promises to professionally train both undergraduate and postgraduate students with highest quality of skill through innovative and methodological teaching in most sophisticated and modest way.
First undergraduate batch joined in August 2019 and revised MBBS curriculum was initiated under the guidance of mentor institute AIIMS Jodhpur. Early clinical exposure for the first MBBS batch was initiated and the students were sent to OPD in batches for clinical teaching. Integrated teaching schedules were started in which faculty of surgery started taking lectures on related topics of integration with Anatomy, Physiology & Biochemistry.
Short term studentship (STS) ICMR projects have been started by the faculty members as guides and co guides for UG students. Intramural projects have been initiated by the department and few Extramural projects are already planned to be started shortly.
Department of Anaesthesia came in to existence in January 2020. The department has started its modest beginning with PAC clinic and OT services in February 2020. Currently there is one PAC clinic and one Operation Theater (OT) for all surgical procedures.
Despite of the limitation of initial set up and man power, the department is progressing at a steady pace and is dedicated to provide high quality Anaesthesia services. Department is actively involved in research and academic activities and determined to establish high standards in patient care, education and research.
1 PAC clinic
Patients scheduled for surgical/investigative procedures are screened in the PAC Clinic which is located on the first floor of Ayush Block from 9am to 5pm five days a week i.e., Monday to Friday.
2 OT currently running on first floor of Ayush Block
At present, the Department provides protocolled anaesthesia and ICU services to General Surgery, Obstetric and Gynaecology, ENT and Orthopaedics.
- To start smooth functioning of OT services in coordination with surgical specialty.
- To start MD Anaesthesiology course.
- To start Emergency OT/ICU/Trauma care services.
- To establish various super specialty division of Anaesthesiology, PDCC and DM courses.
- To establish skill lab for teaching & training of paramedical and medical personnel.
- To start outreach programme of teaching and training.
- Establishment of various division of Anaesthesiology
- Division of Critical Care
- Division of Pediatric Anaesthesia
- Division of Neuroanaesthesia
- Division of Cardiac Anaesthesia
- Division of Pain and palliative care
- Division of Trauma Anaesthesia
- Division of Transplant anaesthesia
- To start PDCC and DM courses in various division of Anaesthesiology.
- To start skill based learning i.e. establishment of simulation lab.
- Training and teaching of-
- Basic life support skills to medical and non medical personal (customized)
- Public awareness programme
- Out reach programme
Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
The department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology was started in January 2020. The primary objective of the department is to impart the legal knowledge through teaching and training of MBBS and nursing students. This shall enable future medical/paramedical professionals to perform their medico-legal duties in a proper manner. The department also aids the Judiciary and the investigating agencies for the administration of justice.
Currently,the department has three faculty members.
- Medico-legal autopsies
- Cold storage facilities for the dead bodies
- Clinical Forensic Medicine services which include age estimation, examination of cases of sexual offences, injury certificate, etc.
- To produce competent medical/paramedical professionals through traditional and innovative teaching methods
- To become a centre of excellence for providing comprehensive medico-legal services that include autopsies and clinical forensic medicine work
- To gain excellence in the field of research related to the speciality
- Providing Virtopsy Services
- Setup Poison Information Centre (PIC)
- Start MD course in Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
- Set up One Stop Crisis Centre to support women affected by violence
- Conduct Training session for Police, Judicial and Medical Officers
We intent to start following courses:
- M.D. Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- Ph.D. in Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Forensic Nursing
- Forensic Autopsy Technician course
Radiotherapy is a branch of medicine that utilizes radiation to treat the patient in malignant and non-malignant conditions. Treatment of cancer is multimodality approach so radiotherapy is not just a treatment of patient by radiation but we provide comprehensive treatment to the patient. In future advance linear accelerator and brachytherapy machines are proposed to be installed. In future we will be able to treat wide variety of malignancies with radical or palliative intent. We will be able to deliver SRS and SBRT in future. This will be the first modern radiation oncology centre in eastern Uttar Pradesh and when completed will not serve only Uttar Pradesh but also areas from neighbouring states like Bihar, Jharkhand, Nepal. The department will focus on providing quality treatment using cutting edge technology and comprehensive cancer care as a team with medical and surgical oncology departments.
- OPD consultation for patients with malignancies.
- Palliative day care chemotherapy.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Develop a comprehensive tertiary cancer center and provide a modern developed radiotherapy center which will be at par to international LINAC based radiotherapy centers.
- Develop a good platform for research and identify the common cancer problem and their solution in the local area.
- Provide advance technology services for malignancy to everyone.
Comprehensive treatment for malignancy, start a tumour-based decision management group.
Special focus on newer technology training and research in the field of recent technology and brachytherapy.
Start hospital-based cancer registry system. It will help us to recognise a common cancer in this population.
Develop a regional cancer centre in future.
The proposed courses in future-Doctor of medicine (M.D.)
Post-Doctoral certificate courses
Doctor of philosophy (Phd)
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PMR) also known as "Physiatry" (pronounced fizz ee at' tree) or "Rehabilitation Medicine", is a branch of Modern (Allopathic) Medicine that deals with persons suffering from either or combination of PAIN, PARALYSIS and/or DEFORMITIES.
These might include: musculoskeletal problems and anomalies (Neck Pain, Back Pain, Joint Pain, congenital deformities, loss of limbs), mobility concerns (Cerebral Palsy, Spinal/Head Injury, Stroke), bowel and bladder issues (Spinal Injury, Meningomyelocele), gait disorders (stroke, parkinsonism), feeding and swallowing problems (stroke, head injury), communication difficulties (cerebral palsy, stroke, head injury), pain (pain conditions as above), and muscle stiffness or hypotonia (myopathy).
Physical Medicine – Word "physical" in Physical Medicine encompasses all three expressions that are pertaining to our Physical State (body), physical agents (heat, light, sound, cold, etc.) and physical activities/exercises. Hence, Physical Medicine may be described as diagnosis and treatment of neuro-musculo-skeletal disorders with the use of medications, modalities, intervention procedures (including surgical procedures), environmental & lifestyle changes, exercises and education; individualized to the patient’s needs. That is why, it is often called “cementing force” between different
specialties of modern medicine, having access to all the available modes of treatment.
Rehabilitation - Rehabilitate in Latin means to make able. In rehabilitation, physiatrists assess the available potential in an individual and improve it to the maximum with different modalities. Where there is permanent or temporary loss in potential they are supplemented with braces, walking aids, splints, artificial limbs, electronic devices etc, in order to gain
Physiatrists (PMR specialists) aims to enhance and restore functional ability and quality of life by evaluating and treating injuries, illnesses, and disability, and are experts in designing comprehensive, patient-centred treatment plans. PM&R physicians manage issues that span the entire spectrum, from complicated multiple trauma to injury prevention for athletes. That is why they are often called the quality of life physicians since they aim to enhance patient performance and thereby “Add Life to Years.”
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To setup and ‘ready’ the Department with minimally required manpower, infrastructure, space and equipments for comprehensive and complete rehabilitation of JE survivors.
- To initiate basic pulmonary rehabilitation services for COVID 19 survivors
- To set up Community Based Rehabilitation and Outreach Program, in collaboration with Community Medicine Department in the Institute or in other recognized academic Institutions. Gradually this program will be expanded and will cater to requirements as envisaged in WHO/UNCRPD guidelines
- To start sensitizing the fresh MBBS batch with Disability etiquette and disability competencies (Foundation Course)
- To introduce the concept of disability and PMR to MBBS students
- To start working on intramural and Extramural research projects.
- To Develop PMR Dept of AIIMS Gorakhpur as Apex Centre of excellence for Rehabilitation and Research on disability of JE/AES survivors
- To impart quality and affordable rehabilitation management of all patients visiting AIIMS Gorakhpur
- To increase the sensitivity, understanding and demand for rehabilitation services so that people can appreciate that maximizing ability is more important than accepting dis-ability.
- To integrate high end institutional comprehensive rehab care, with accessible and low cost COMMUNITY BASED REHABILITATION model.
- To improve the skill base of rehab professionals by providing and developing long term and short-term training programs
- To develop a conducive and ready platform for rehabilitation research at all levels, also involving multiple related medical specialties and allied heath professionals (paramedics and nursing) .
Pharmacology And Therapeutics
The Department of Pharmacology was started in February 2020.
It aims to train the MBBS students on the fundamentals of Pharmacotherapy.
The Dept. has following Faculty as of 17th August 2020
1. Dr Hira Lal Bhalla, Additional Professor
2. Dr Tejas K Patel, Associate Professor
3. Dr Vijayalaxmi, Assistant Professor
4. Dr Upinder Kaur, Assistant Professor
The Department tends to have Clinical Pharmacology Lab , Experimental Pharmacology Lab, Computer Assisted Learning Lab , Therapeutic Drug Monitoring Lab, Adverse Drug Reaction(ADR) Monitoring Centre, demonstration rooms, well equipped museum and a library for undergraduates, postgraduates and faculty.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The Department has a short-term goal of training MBBS students on principles of pharmacotherapy and rational drug therapy in practice. The department tends to train the students on how drugs act and which drugs to be prescribed while understanding the pathophysiological states. The department also tends to train the students as well as health care personnel regarding adverse drug reactions and develop an ADR monitoring Centre for reporting of ADRs to the national coordinating Centre, IPC, Ghaziabad
The department aims to have a well -equipped research and experimental lab, expand the ADR monitoring services, start a TDM lab for monitoring the drug concentrations and start MD and PhD courses.
At present, the department aims to start teaching course for MBBS students. In future, the department tends to initiate MD and PhD courses, conduct workshops on research methodology, Pharmacovigilance, Good Clinical Practice and Post-Doctoral Certificate Course (PDCC)in Clinical Trials
Transfusion medicine (or transfusiology) is a multidisciplinary area concerned with transfusion of blood and its components in the treatment of human diseases. Ever since the discovery of blood types early in the last century, the branch has evolved at a breakneck pace. Simple blood transfusion is a medical therapy which can be life saving ,hence this branch is a vital part of the health care system.
Our blood bank shall be divided into various sections:
- Blood Donation Services
- Apheresis Services (donation and therapeutic)
- Serological Laboratory
- NAT Laboratory
- Component Processing Laboratory
- Crossmatch and Issue Laboratory
- Immunohematology Laboratory
Blood Donation and Apheresis Services
- We shall be collecting blood both in house as well as organize voluntary blood donation camps.
- Apheresis Services- Plateletapheresis, Plasmapheresis, Erythrocytapheresis shall also be started.
- Therapeutic Plasma Exchange shall be done.
Blood component Processing Lab
Blood is a precious human resource. To exercise maximum economy in its use, every unit of blood is separated into various components.The following components shall be available round the clock:
- Packed red blood cells
- Fresh frozen plasma
- Platelet concentrates (Random Donor Platelets)
- Buffy coat pooled platelets (With Platelet Additive Solution)
- Cryo-poor plasma
Following modifications will also be available on request of clinician:
- Leucodepleted red cells
- Leucodepleted platelets
- Irradiated blood and blood products
- Pediatric units
- Blood for intrauterine and neonatal exchange transfusions.
TTI (Transfusion Transmitted Infection) testing lab
TTI (Transfusion Transmitted Infection) testing of the collected blood units shall be done by
- Chemiluminescence immunoassay.
- ID NAT (nucleic acid testing)
- IAT (Indirect Antiglobulin Testing) and DAT (Direct Antiglobulin Testing).
- Adsorption and elution of antibodies
- PNH Screening
- HIT Screening
- Minor Blood Phenotyping
- Gamma Irradiation
- Platelet Crossmatch
- HLA Crossmatch and typing.
Other Services that shall be initiated
- Hemovigilance reporting under Hemovigilance program of India (HvPI)
- Updating our blood stock under e-Raktkosh.
Our motto is to provide adequate and timely supply of safe and quality blood and blood components, duly tested and free from transfusion-transmitted infections, in a timely manner to the right patient (RIGHT BLOOD, RIGHT TIME, RIGHT PATIENT). We aim to provide state of art Transfusion Medicine Services to the people of Eastern Uttar Pradesh (Poorvanchal) and adjoining states.
- Short term plans
- Establish blood bank and obtain license.
- Start Platelet apheresis, plasmapheresis and Therapeutic plasma exchange.
- Set up a state of art immunohematology laboratory in the department.
- Start the facility of IUT (Intra Uterine Transfusion) in collaboration with the
- Installation of blood irradiator and to issue irradiated components for indications like IUT, Exchange transfusions, immunocompromised patients and candidates for Bone Marrow Transplant.
- Start the facility of mobile blood donation camps.
- Start the facility of thromboelastography for monitoring the functional hemostatic status of the patients.
- Long term plans
- To set up specialized services (antibody screening and providing extended phenotype matched blood) for thalassemic patients.
- Pneumatic tube system for receiving and dispensing blood units.
- Automation in immunohematology laboratory.
- Computerization in blood bank through advanced Blood Bank Software with iris recognition etc.
- Platelet serology
- HLA typing and crossmatch.
- Use of RFID technology for better traceability of blood components.
The Department shall start :-
- Postgraduate course in Transfusion Medicine (MD)
- Post graduate certificate course (PDCC) in Aphesresis and Component Therapy
- Post graduate certificate course (PDCC) in Immunohematology
Training Program :-
We shall provide short-term training courses every year for limited number of technicians and doctors from hospitals all over India in various aspects of blood banking.
Our country being a tropical country is home to various infectious diseases and pathogens. Infectious diseases account for most significant cause of morbidity and mortality in our community. Eastern Uttar Pradesh is endemic to several infectious diseases like Japanese Encephalitis, Dengue, Malaria and Kala azar which are important cause of illness esp. in children. Department of Microbiology at AIIMS Gorakhpur provides the diagnostic support for all such infectious diseases. It is also engaged in providing services related to Biomedical waste management, Hospital infection control and Antimicrobial resistance surveillance in the hospital.
Medical Microbiology is one of the subjects of 2nd prof in MBBS curriculum. Our goal of UG teaching is “To provide an understanding of the infectious diseases in order to deal with the aetiology, pathogenesis, laboratory diagnosis, treatment and control of infections”
CURRENT FACILITIES / ACTIVITIES
- COVID-19 testing (Antigen method)
- Hospital infection control related activities
- Training of various staff in infection prevention and control related activities
- Biomedical Waste management services
Ongoing: Teaching of MBBS undergraduate students during 2nd Professional year.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To prepare the UG students to handle the challenges posed by infectious diseases.
- To provide state of art diagnostic services related to infectious diseases with special emphasis on arthropod borne illness.
- To thrive for excellence in research suited to local needs.
- Starting Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Promoting Standard Hospital infection Control related practices (Occupational Hazards, Needle Stick Injury Management)
- Implementing Quality Control practices in Lab (SOP, EQAS etc)
- Providing advanced diagnostic service with latest technology
- Starting the post graduate courses PDCC, MD Microbiology
The field of pathology forms one of the important pillars of modern medicine. It is study of the mechanisms leading to disease development. It links the understanding of basic sciences with that of clinical presentations in diseases.
The department of pathology came into existence in March 2020 and aspires to provide relevant , dependable and timely diagnostic services integral to clinical decision making in patient care. The department is committed to dissemination of knowledge and enabling the undergraduate and postgraduate students to achieve excellence in patient care. The department envisions to be a center of excellence and an active contributor in innovations and research.
Hospital Services :-
The department of Pathology is committed to provide full support of diagnostic services with emphasis on quality assurance in a safe and environment friendly manner. The diagnostic specialities include hematology, clinical pathology, immunopathology, cytopathology and histopathology services. The equipment procurement is underway to enable and enhance the lab facilities.
An exhaustive undergraduate curriculum has been designed for MBBS students. Innovative teaching methods, like integrated teaching, problem based learning, case based learning, are employed apart from didactic lectures. Student laboratory and demonstration rooms are being set up to facilitate acquiring hands-on skill. Clinical laboratory rotations will orient the students and help them acquire clinical acumen.
A museum is being equipped to highlight and reinforce the concepts of pathology. Regular Clinico-pathological case discussions and clinical grand rounds are being performed since July,2020.
The Faculty and students are encouraged to initiate and participate in various projects and programs. The department provides for opportunities of capacity development for staff and students to enhance their skills and to foster research environment.
The department of pathology aspires to :
- To provide relevant, cost effective, good quality, dependable and timely diagnostic services integral to clinical decision making in patient care.
- To enable the undergraduate and post graduate students to reach their full potential in understanding the disease and application of knowledge to provide quality care.
- To provide opportunities of capacity development of faculty and students to enhance their skills and enable them to lead in innovations and research.
- To be a center of excellence in various specialties of pathology.
- To provide platform for dissemination of knowledge and awareness of health and disease in the community.
- To set up a comprehensive molecular oncology laboratory continuously updated with latest technologies.
- To set up full range of immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry services to enable conclusive tissue based diagnosis.
- To provide services of intraoperative diagnosis (frozen section).
- To set up specialized facility for multiparametric immunophenotyping by flowcytometry to enable diagnosis and management of hemato-lymphoid malignancies and immunodeficiencies.
- To set up laboratory enabling full compliment of investigations for coagulation and bleeding disorders.
- To set up immunoflourescence laboratory to enable diagnostic as well as research needs.
- To establish facility for tissue banking for facilitating clinical and translational research.
- To start Post-graduate program, fellowships and PhD programs in hematopathology and oncopathology.
Courses offered :-
Department of General Medicine was among the first departments to start functioning for Out patient care right from the inception of the Institution. It caters to a wide population area of both Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. The need for the Department and the Institution in this areas can be gauged from the fact that the daily attendance crossed 500 patients on most days. It has been striving to achieve excellence in patient care and satisfaction.
At present the Department is running its Out Patient Services in the COVID Pandemic Era on pre appointment basis (30-40 patients a day) and by utilizing Teleconsultation services (about 10 patients a day). It caters to all sub specialties of Medicine. It is also running a FLU Clinic for the needy patients.
The out patient Services which are curtailed at present due to the COVID pandemic is planned to be expanded when the situation improves. Speciality clinics on various sub specialties are planned keeping in mind the patients care and comfort.
The Department is preparing to start the In patient services as an when the wards are ready. It would Include a 60 bed In Patient unit and a 10 Bed Intensive care Unit. The department would also be looking after the Medical Emergency services in the near future.
The department is preparing to welcome the first batch (2019) of AIIMS Gorakhpur that would be coming in for Clinical teaching and Lectures soon. It is gearing up to soon start full fledged MBBS teaching and Post graduate teaching in Medicine and various certificate courses in the short future.
The department aspires to be a leader in research by taking up studies on disease patterns and pathology, treatment methodologies, Drugs and scoring systems for various conditions.